Monday, February 11, 2013

Cold calling by phone

Whilst at home this morning I received a phone call which started with a recorded message telling me about refunds I was due. I am sure most people have received similar calls, you are invited to press 9 to remove your number from the list or 5 for more details and to discuss your "refund". I chose to press 5 so I could speak to someone and explain why I wanted my number removed and to ask them to pass it back through any chain which might exist of databases. As is often the case, once I said I wasn't prepared to give my name but I did want my number removed the person hung up immediately. How incredibly rude is that! As there was actually a number on caller display from them I decided to call back, only to receive another recorded message. The reason for mentioning all of this on this blog - the message said that I had been called for sales and marketing purposes and no action was required, they would call back if necessary. Obviously another organisation who have no idea what marketing actually is, and are bringing the profession into disrepute. No true marketing organisation would operate in such a way, they are simply very, very poor sales organisations who have more in common with con-artists than professional organisations as far as I am concerned. And as a final point, there was an option to press 9 again to have my number taken off their list so I did and the call immediately hung up - why no simple confirmation that it had happened?

No comments: